Essay 285 – Obesity is an increasing public health problem

GT Writing Task 2 / Essay Sample # 285

You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.

Write about the following topic:

Obesity is an increasing public health problem in some parts of the world.

Explain some possible reasons for this problem, and suggest some solutions.

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Write at least 250 words.

Model Answer:

The epidemic of obesity continues in many countries around the globe. This essay will first expound on how poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle are the root causes of this swelling and alarming issue, followed by a discussion that education, exercise, and laws are the most effective solution.

Unhealthy diets and an inactive lifestyle are the primary cause of overweight. In the developed world, where people are living a fast-paced life laden with tasks, deadlines, assignments, and so on, cooking healthy meals at home for the family proves next to impossible as it takes a considerable amount of time. This, in turn, brings about an immense popularity of junk food and fast food in society. To put it another way, KFC, Pizza Hut, and McDonald which cover almost every nook and cranny of the street are selling food that contains an exorbitant amount of calories. According to a stunning report of the Overweight Association in Australia, Australian citizens only consume about 15% of the calories from junk food, the remaining 85% of calories remain in their bodies. Thus poor diet is directly linked to obesity. Moreover, due to busy life, we have little time to exercise. Modern tools and devices also make us inactive as we need less physical exertion in the current age.

However, the best remedy for this issue of obesity is to educate the public about the dangerous consequence of being obese. If the public has comprehensive knowledge about the types of diseases associated with being overweight, they might think twice before going to the local fast-food restaurant. Moreover, companies should facilitate a well-equipped gym so that employees can work out at least twice a week. If employees do exercise, the activity will help them burn off the calories and avoid weight gain. Furthermore, the government ought to pass a law to restrict the marketing of foods that contain excessive fats, sugars, and salts, especially foods targeted at children and young adults.

To conclude, many people are struggling with their body weight due to consuming too much fast food accompanied by a sedentary lifestyle. However, this issue can be alleviated by education, exercise, and law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *