You will move to a new city to start a new job. You know some people who live there.
Write a letter to someone you know there. In your letter
– ask for his/her help to find an accommodation
– tell him/her where you would like to live
– say the type of place you are looking for
You live in a room in college which you share with another student. You find it very difficult to work there because he or she always has friends visiting. They have parties in the room and sometimes borrow your things without asking you.
Write a letter to the Accommodation Officer at the college and ask for a new room next term. You would prefer a single room. Explain your reasons.
You play a team sport with some friends. Last week a member of the team had an accident and wasn’t able to play with you at the weekend. You decide to write to him in hospital, telling him about the match.
Write a letter to your friend. In your letter
– tell him which team won
– describe the conditions on the day
– say how you felt about the match
You work for an international company. You have seen an advertisement for a training course which will be useful for your job.
Write a letter to your manager. In your letter
– describe the training course you want to do
– explain what the company could do to help you
– say how the course will be useful for your job
Your local council is considering closing a sports and leisure centre that it runs, in order to save money.
Write a letter to the local council. In your letter
– give details of how you and your friends or family use the centre
– explain why the sports and leisure centre is important for the local community
– describe the possible effects on local people if the centre closes
You recently attended a meeting at a hotel. When you returned home, you found you had left some important papers at the hotel.
Write a letter to the manager of the hotel. In your letter
– say where you think you left the papers
– explain why they are so important
– tell the manager what you want him/her to do
You recently received a letter from a friend asking for advice about whether to go to college or try to get a job. You think he/she should get a job.
Write a letter to this friend. In your letter
– say why she/he would not enjoy going to college
– explain why getting a job is a good idea for him/her
– suggest types of job that would be suitable for him/her
You are studying for a qualification, and you would like some time off work to complete it.
Write a letter to your manager. In your letter:
– ask for some time off to complete the qualification.
– suggest what you will do later at work if you get time off
– say how the qualification will help your job or company
You recently ordered a small item online but when it arrived it was unusable. Write a letter to the company that sold you the item:
– give details about the order you made
– explain what was wrong with the item
– tell the company what you want them to do about it